5 Quick Things #171 🕯🕯🕯
Marble runs, emotional dormancy, a quaint Scottish island, & it's a wonderful life
It’s been a beautiful week around here in Central Texas, which means Ginny and I have enjoyed lengthier afternoon walks after teaching online (classes ended yesterday for the year — woohoo!). I’ve been figuratively traveling via earbuds as we walk the same neighborhood for the 8,395th time this year, eager to literally travel again one day (we used to do that, right? I think I remember…). Hoping those of you buried under a blanket of snow have what you need and can manage to stay cozy. 🥶
As a little thank you to those of you who’ve made Books & Crannies possible this year, be on the lookout this next Monday for a little surprise. I’m grateful for each of you! ☕️
The Commonwealth Avenue Mall in Boston, Massachusetts, part of the Nor’Easter that blew through the northeast coast of the U.S. this week. #
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. Shop local when you can; big when you need to. There are ethical brands found on Amazon and there’s still time to order gifts from there — a few ideas.
2. "The sleeping natural world [in winter] gives me permission to rest and to accept there are good things happening below the surface that don’t need my help." …I’m definitely re-reading this in January.
3. Seth and I end 2020 talking about the imaginative virtue of curating the stories that we allow in our minds and homes (plus, we share some of our faves!).
4. I wrote for America Media why 2020 is the prime year of Advent.
5. And finally, Google released their annual Year in Search. What a year.
“Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you.”
― Steve Maraboli #
Advent: Week 3 ✨
Reader Anna Grist sums it up well:
Thank you, to all of you, who’ve let me walk with you through Advent this season. It’s been a delight! And I’m eager and ready for our final week four starting this Sunday (can you believe it? Wow, it’s come quickly).
Have a good weekend (and week*)! Happiest of holidays available to you. ✨
p.s. *Next Friday is Christmas Day, the first day of Christmastide, so there’ll be no new 5QT while I celebrate with my family. But be on the lookout for my Favorites of 2020, on its way to you soon!