How has your week been? The weather has officially morphed from spring to summer humidity around here, and I’m already having to strategize my outdoor time so that I don’t wither away. In a little over a month, we’ll migrate north to visit family and cool off our brains, so until then I suppose we’ll do what we always do: hunker down in the water.
In other news, my youngest turns 11 today, and that just doesn’t feel humanly possible. I adore watching my kids grow into who they’re made to be, but it truly feels like I should still be in the little kid stage, and apparently, I was just conveyor-belted along without my awareness.
I’m hunkering down for many loud voices and many hyper bodies later this afternoon, so wish me well…
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 👉 New episode of A Drink With a Friend! 👈 What’s the difference between a vacation and a pilgrimage? A roadtrip to see extended family and stepping somewhere sacred? So much of it has to do with our own mindset about what we’re doing in the first place. Seth & I unpack what it means to travel sacramentally, even on ordinary trips.
2. Even though it’s Finn’s birthday, I’m going to do my best to tune into this presentation today (probably as I’m baking cupcakes). I really loved his book and I love this topic! It’s so important.
3. “The Exterior Life doesn’t want you to feel sad. Ever. It recoils at the prospect. It wants there to be nothing but pleasure. But this is unnatural. To be fully human is to endure the full range of emotions in response to the broad continuum of life’s experiences.” A good reminder for every one of us.
4. Ooh, I think I may need to learn more about this.
5. And finally… earlier this week I shared three Hamlets’ to-be speeches to Commonplace subscribers. I can’t stop thinking about it, so here’s three ‘get thee to a nunnery’ moments. Man, that Andrew Scott.
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 📺
Sweet Tooth on Netflix
“I watch what I’m doing to see what I believe.”
—Sr. Helen Prejean #
From inside The Commonplace 🏡
This week we’re sharing what’s on our good lists, the small things making our lives a bit better these days. Reading everyone’s is an instant mood booster!
Question For You to Ponder… 🤔
What’s one thing you could do today to make the rest of your weekend more restful?
Have a good weekend!
p.s. Where I’m tossing my 2021 summer listens, if you’re curious.