Discover more from The Commonplace
5 Quick Things #208 🍁
digital detox, apple cider, duck stamps, & what beethoven heard
As you’re reading this I’m on the road with my friend Haley; we’re headed up to Dallas to film a little project. I’m currently writing you the night before and I need to hit the hay in just a bit, so let’s get right to it, shall we?
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 👉 New episode of A Drink With a Friend! 👈 Seth and I start a two-part chat about what he’s learning from a month-long digital detox. Is it possible to do good work and not be on social media? What inconveniences are we willing to trade for a more beautiful life?
2. I dig this deep-dive on how to better remember what you read. “A lot of companies charge ridiculous prices for access to vague summaries bearing only the faintest resemblance to anything in the book.” Super-duper agree.
3. I’m here for these apple cider cocktails.
4. “Deafness freed Beethoven as a composer because he no longer had society’s soundtrack in his ears. …In our current techno-cultural moment, we’re constantly connected to a humming online hive mind of takes and urgency and quantified influence.”
5. And finally, here are eight steps to lower stress in five minutes. Sounds doable.
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 📚
The Last Thing He Told Me, by Laura Dave
“I loved autumn, the one season of the year that God seemed to have put there just for the beauty of it.”
— Lee Maynard #
Question For You to Ponder… 🤔
What inconvenience are you willing to trade for a more beautiful life?
Have a good weekend!
p.s. So weirdly interesting and hilarious. (language warning)