Discover more from The Commonplace
5 Quick Things #212 🎃
Astronomers, pine-needle beermakers, & fall-ified homemakers
It’s a beautiful morning here in central Texas and I just walked in the door from a nice, long morning walk with the doggo. The kids have an all-day school event (and the oldest can drive themselves there!) and I’ve lit the candle that nobody else in the family likes, so let’s just say I’m enjoying the quiet in the house. I’ve got a magazine article due in a few hours, followed by Cigar Club followed by lunch with my aunt, so it’s a full-but-in-a-good-way day over here.
How’s your day? I’m grateful for you reading this — thanks for being here.
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 👉 New episode of A Drink With a Friend! 👈 In the last episode, Seth and I talked about what makes the art we love fall-ish. In this one we chat about the flip side of that coin: what makes the creating of that art fall-ish (there’s writing and music-making, but there’s also homemaking, neighborliness, and doing our work well as forms of artistic expression). What does it look like to do these things as the leaves drop?
2. “All social media companies want teens to use their services. We are no different.” Facebook’s demographic continues to skew older, and man if I don’t hate what social media does to our adolescents. More data to convince you it’s not a good idea for our kids.
3. Nodded my way through last week’s Jesuitical episode with “the pope’s astronomer” about how people of faith should holistically approach current science. Plus, tons of hobbit references, so, win!
4. Oh my goodness, I love this so, so much.
5. And finally, “I work for a company that makes beer taste like pine needles that have been soaking in a vat of apple cider vinegar for thirty years.” A typical Oregon Friday, as imagined by my east coast friends. (And imagined by Texans.)
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 🎧
My Fall Afternoons & Evenings playlist
“Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.”
— George Eliot #
Heads Up! 🙌
I dusted off and spit-shined my self-paced audio workshop, Create Your Rule of Life. Still the same timeless process, just updated a bit:
If you’ve already enrolled, check your email inbox so you still have access without paying again — the subject line is “Create Your Rule of Life: An Update!”. And if you haven’t yet given it a whirl, head here to check it out:
Great advice in the thread here, if you’re curious! 👆
Question For You to Ponder… 🤔
What three specific things are you grateful for today?
Have a good weekend!