5 Quick Things #213 🍁
stories, movies, anniversaries, & bookshops
As you read this I’m in Asheville, North Carolina for the weekend with Kyle to celebrate our 19th anniversary. We love it there! And we have to leave for the airport crazy dadgum-early in the morning (I’m writing this the night before) so I’ll jump right into things.
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 👉 New episode of A Drink With a Friend! 👈 Most of life is lived in the ordinary, so to see the sacred within it we need to pause and name it. For the next two episodes, Seth and I each swap a story from our life to recognize and name what’s just beneath the layer. You’re invited to do the same, too, within your ordinary life.
2. “Classical liberalism isn’t utopian and doesn’t create utopia, but one of its great virtues is that it creates profound tensions with our inherent temptations to authoritarianism and oppression.” A long but good read about modern classical liberalism, if you’ve heard the term and wondered what the heck it is.
3. This was a good conversation.
4. Apparently I’ve only been to four of the most brilliant bookshops in the world (and not even the one closest to me). I’ll have to rectify that situation.
5. And finally, they watched the “five scariest movies of all time” and in doing so made me legit laugh out loud.
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 📺
Midnight Mass (oh my word, that was a ride… I have so many thoughts)
“A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.”
— Dave Meurer #
23 DAYS! ✨
If you can believe it (I can’t!), Advent begins in a little over three weeks — the first day is Sunday, November 28. I know, right? Shadow & Light is the companion I wrote to walk with you through the days and weeks of Advent leading to Christmastide. If you weren’t able to get it last year (it sold out!), go ahead and get it now, so you’re ready in plenty of time for the season.
And if you did get your copy last year, order a copy for (or forward the link to) someone else you think would love it this season. It was truly a labor of love to write it, and I’m so honored so many of you use it for your holidays!
Good suggestions in the thread here, if you want/need to bookmark it! 👆
Question For You to Ponder… 🤔
St. Thomas Aquinas’ definition of love is “to will the good of the other” — agree or disagree?
Have a good weekend!
El Ateneo in Buenos Aires is all that, and then some. 🤩