Discover more from The Commonplace
5 Quick Things #231 ☕️
a sunken ship, a moving haka, six good things, & REAL March madness
I’ve been into this tiny mug I was gifted at Fabled a few weeks ago when I spoke there about Lent. At first it made me smile and wonder when I’d ever use it — I’m guessing it holds four ounces of liquid and is the height of a palm of my hand. But to my surprise, I’ve been using it almost daily because it’s helping me drink less coffee, one of my current habit goals. Initially I’d pour myself a big mug and say that was my allotment for the day, but with this little guy, I can pour three mugs and drink even less while tricking me into thinking I’m drinking even more. I’m sipping it slower and savoring my favorite daily drink more because I’m drinking it from what feels like a child’s plaything.
It’s totally ridiculous, I know, but we humans can sometimes be ridiculous.
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 👉 New episode of A Drink With a Friend! 👈 When life is busy — like Seth's right now, or when life is slower — like mine at the moment (since I just started a short teaching break) — it's a good time to remember good things. In this episode, we chat about three things each that are currently adding more beauty to our lives: a thing we’re listening to, reading, and watching.
2. Over a century later, Ernest Shackleton’s sunken ship Endurance has been found! (I read this book about his true story a long while ago and I couldn’t put it down — if you’ve never heard of him, do yourself a favor and read it. So good.)
3. “We have all had the experience of feeling, deep down in our bones, that something is true, but not being able to explain exactly what it is that we feel and what it is that we mean by feeling it.” A great essay on why emotions are indeed worth listening to, especially when they point us to truth.
4. We’re watching ordinary Ukranians fight for their country in real time. Do those of us watching know what’s worth fighting for? These words are worth listening to a few times (or reading, if that’s your preference). …Sure, it’s not this simple, not this black and white, but I think she’s right about the broad ideas.
5. And finally, this is my kind of March Madness.
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 📚
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
— G.K. Chesterton #
Quick Links 🔗
Question(s) For You to Ponder… 🤔
What are three things you think are worth dying for? What about living for?
There will be no 5 Quick Things next week as I take a week off to enjoy Spring Break with my family. I’ll be camping, hiking, reading, gardening, paint-by-numbering, and otherwise being very much offline — and I am so very here for it. I’ll be back with you in two weeks!
Have a great weekend (and next week),
p.s. I was surprisingly moved watching this.