Discover more from The Commonplace
5 Quick Things #257 🎃
job titles, fire, fall obsession, & travel with friends
I’m watching quite the thunderstorm out my window right now, full of lightning and rolling thunder every few seconds. I absolutely love Texas thunderstorms... I’ve been to quite a few pins on the world map, but I tell you, I’m fairly certain this home state of mine has the best rainstorms and sunsets on the planet.
The weather may make for an interesting weekend… Kyle and I celebrate TWENTY YEARS of marriage next week (twenty! 🥂), so we’re going glamping a few hours away (our main family celebration was in Costa Rica this summer). Next week I’ll share more thoughts on marriage, but in the meantime, I’m looking forward to no wifi and a cozy campfire with my best friend. Rain or no rain.
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 🎧 New episode of A Drink With a Friend! 🎧 Why travel with other people? I'm joined by a good friend — my husband, Kyle — for a late-night conversation where we reflect on how travel has affected our 20-year marriage and why you (yes, you!) should join us next summer in Ireland. ☘️
2. Why do we still insist on asking new acquaintences, “So, what do you do?” We are so much more than what we do, and definitely more than a brief job title, which is all that question wants. I appreciate these thoughtful words about the conundrum, especially the connection with the true idea of ‘leisure’ (which constantly pops up in my life these days). “I am not my 'job,' nor do I identify with any given 'job.' I am my life, and I pursue it...” Yes.
3. I’ve long been fascinated by the FIRE movement and appreciate some (but not all) of its sentiments. This is a balanced perspective on what it looks like to pursue financial independence while still prioritizing a healthy family life.
4. I’ve no shame in my apologetics as a fall fan, but I do appreciate this snarky take on our culture’s weird love affair with this season-turned-holiday: “[Fall] can be observed alone by anyone with a flannel shirt and an Instagram account.”
5. And finally, how each generation goes on vacation. I
resent thisfound it rather amusing.
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 📻
My new Cozy Writing playlist (Need to write? Want to be cozy? It’s for you.)
“Anyone could see that the wind was a special wind this night, and the darkness took on a special feel because it was All Hallows' Eve. …Smoke panted up out of a thousand chimneys like the plumes of funeral parades. From kitchen windows drifted two pumpkin smells: gourds being cut, pies being baked.”
— Ray Bradbury #
The Commonplace is a reader-supported publication! 🤝 Become a subscriber:
What’s the Worst Halloween Candy? 🎃
I got in trouble with Kyle, the only Necco fan under 75, for grouping it with Smarties (in my mind, they’re the same thing — oops). I’m with you, Laffy Taffy abolitionists. May your buckets be miraculously filled with ethically-made dark chocolate sprinkled with sea salt.
Find this week’s poll here.
Quick Links 🔗
Become a paying subscriber of The Commonplace (and thank you!)
Question(s) For You to Ponder… 🤔
What task can you ignore from your to-do list today (in order to do the one that actually matters)?
Have a good weekend,
p.s. No thank you.
Fun fact: It absolutely downpoured on our outdoor wedding, which ended up being rather a lot of fun. Ask those who were there!
Yes, I’m that person.