5 Quick Things, #117 🦃
If you’re American, I hope your day yesterday was full of just enough food to bump you right up to that line of delightful satisfaction without tumbling over the line into gross coma territory. I hope political arguments were few, crunch-perfect leaves on your neighborhood walk were abundant, and naps were had. Amen.
Out shopping today? You do you, but as for me, I’d rather pour lemon juice on a paper cut (I’ve never been good with crowded stores). I loved it a few years ago when REI started their Opt Outside campaign, choosing to close their doors over profit on Black Friday sales, and ever since we’ve tried to do at least something outdoors on the day. We’ve got rain on the forecast, but even so, we’re thinking a little hike is in order. Also amen.
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. I’ll get right to it: today I’m sharing big news! (It’s a short, bonus-style announcement episode — just enough earbud time for one crowded Target aisle.)
2. I shared five things that keep my Thanksgiving week pleasant, but you can copy + paste this for any upcoming holiday week. I know I will.
3. What a cool thing — I just love NYC.
4. "He took apart a chair just so he could rebuild it."
5. When Jesus gives you a dog… Oh man, my heart ached for Haley’s family all week. Dogs are such a gift.
“Be thankful for what you have, and you'll find you have more. Focus on what you don't have, and you will never, ever have enough.”
– Oprah Winfrey
Time Machine ⏰
9 (nine!) years ago, Meg wrote about avoiding relationship strain over gift-giving expectations (apropos for the approaching holidays).
A Reminder 🕯
Advent starts this Sunday, December 1! Download my next book’s first week, completely free, and use any of the resources linked there. Our beeswax candles are rolled and I’ve already got my Advent playlist going on repeat.
Have a great weekend!
p.s. Is it just me, or are gift guides unveiling earlier and earlier every year? They’re already everywhere! We’re sticking to tradition, and for the umpteenth year in a row, the Art of Simple Gift Guide will release this next Monday. 🙌 In the meantime, Teepublic has a great Black Friday sale today — it’s a great time to snag some At Home in the World tees, hoodies, sweatshirts, and more in a language you love (there’s 18!). (Hot tip: I prefer a men’s tri-blend tee in medium over any of the women’s sizes.)