5 Quick Things, #118 🎄
We put up Chris Pine, our tree, last weekend (you may remember that last year, we finally succumbed to an artificial tree, after living in Central Oregon officially ruined us from being okay paying ridiculous prices at lots or hardware stores). A few days later, we strung him with lights. Then last night, we started decorating him. I love spacing out the tree business! Makes it more peaceful and relaxing and Advent-y, in my book.
And even though we remembered it was St. Nicholas Day today, somehow both of us forgot to get chocolate coins for the shoes. Oh well — ice cream it is. I told Kyle this morning that maybe we just accidentally started a new tradition…. chocolate coins are kinda gross anyway.
Tonight starts our neighborhood’s Christmas Stroll on the Square, so follow me on Instagram if you want ridiculous, small-town delights of a holiday parade that literally starts outside our front door.
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. We unveiled this year’s Gift Guide! Pretty sure I say this every year, but this year’s is the best we’ve ever done. Such good stuff from good companies.
2. An annual Christmas pageant is yoga? I love this perspective (and the candle!).
3. I talk with Shawn Smucker, one of my favorite writers and humans, about what’s on his good list right now.
4. And speaking of — it was a holiday last week, so you may have missed this: I made a big announcement!
5. “You can improve your ability to focus by changing your brain or changing your behavior. And it's best if you do both.” Been thinking about this all week.
"Alas! How dreary would be the world if there was no Santa Claus! There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence."
- Francis P. Church
Time Machine ⏰
Four years ago, I wrote about the historic Saint Nicholas, if you’d like a 101 primer.
Have a great weekend!
p.s. Insiders, yesterday I wrote you something I’ve been mulling over the past few days. I think I’m going to make this a weekly practice for me this Advent — it’s so helpful for slowing down.