5 Quick Things, #126 ❄️
Book clubs, Iceland, milestone birthdays, and don't-be-that-kid
I sometimes feel like Februarys are the opposite of Octobers. Octobers have quotes about them (people are glad there’s a world with them), there’s a whiff of change in the air, the outdoors are technicolor; some people decorate the heck outta their homes. 🎃 Februarys are …gray. ⚪️ This doldrum-y in-between time, where (at least in Texas) weather can change on a dime. The fever pitch of the holidays has passed, but spring is still a ways away.
I don’t mean to Eeyore all over the place, but all this has been on my mind this week… How do I best make the most of this short month that always seems to drag? We’ve got family birthdays, which help, but so does writing in this every day, working on my Masterclass, and showing up where I’d be missed: gym, school, church, coffee with friends. It’s what I know to do. 🤷♀️
How about you?
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. On AoS I compiled and shared what you’re reading right now (based on what some of you shared here in Books & Crannies, which is quite meta). The result? A fantastic TBR book list.
2. How to start a kids’ book club — I love this idea!
3. You, at age 5 and 85, and why it matters. I honestly loved creating this.
4. I love this idea for a milestone birthday.
5. This is long-ish, but good — pour a cup and settle in. “[My parents] are asking about a job. I am thinking about identity, community, purpose.”
“[Don't be] too precious about your writing. You have to try your hardest to be at the top of your game ...and then you have to let it go. You can't be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it...You have to let people see what you wrote.”
― Tina Fey
Time Machine ⏰
One year ago, I wrote about Dunbar’s number, Iceland, Instagram, the myth of scarcity, and creating a Rule of Life. (I needed to re-read this.)
Have a great week!
p.s. Here’s a fun logic puzzle, of sorts. (She’s a delightful Twitter follow!)