Discover more from The Commonplace
5 Quick Things, #129 🌤
Chocolate cake, Dolly Parton, good pens, & the marvelous structure of reality
As I type I’m watching a beautiful Texas sunrise paint the sky from inky gray to salmon pink, and it makes me all the more eager for spring. And Spring Break. Our kids get their two-week break starting next weekend, and I am here for it (I never appreciated school breaks as much as I have now that I’ve started teaching…).
Spring truly is my favorite time of year in central Texas. 🌻 I have a long-running theory that most of us prefer the same basic type of weather: 65-80 degrees Fahrenheit, sunny with a hint of a breeze, low humidity — but we call it something different depending on where we live. Where I lived in central Oregon, it’s called summer. Here, it’s called spring. In other places, it’s fall. But of course, there are the crazies (*cough* Kyle *cough*) who light up when it’s 18 degrees and snowing… 🤷♀️
The Villarrica Volcano at night from Pucon, Chile. #
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. Continuing my 2020 series of monthly letters to myself 10 years ago, this week I wrote about the hardest, yet most essential, thing there is to build.
2. 13 inspiring podcasts! In case you need more for your listening habit.
3. I really can’t believe I made an entire podcast episode about this, but I did. And I stand by it.
4. “As task after task becomes easier... we are spoiled by immediacy and become annoyed by tasks that remain at the old level of effort and time.” A great, worth-your-time read.
5. Nothing says nightcap like a few swallows of warm suds, and nine other self-care tips for toddlers.
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day.”
― Albert Einstein
Time Machine ⏰
Five years ago, my friend Megan wrote about the ministry of award-winning chocolate cake.
Have a great weekend!
p.s. I’m grateful for ethical brands that do good work and support the hard work of others, like mine. One of those is Rothy’s, a sponsor of The Good List — they make the most comfortable, stylish, washable shoes made from recycled water bottles you’ll ever wear. …Head here to find your new favorite pair.