It’s officially summer break around here, yet all week I’ve been in meetings for our school staff. We’ve sat far more than six feet apart, all wearing masks, and cleaning everything we touch — it’s been nice to talk with people without Zoom in between us. And yet it feels really good to be home today. I like being home. I’m not sure how I feel about “getting back out there.”
To me, there’s something human, something necessary about being home more than not being at home.
How has your week been?
Cleaning the David to prepare for Galleria dell'Accademia’s reopening in Florence, Italy. #
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. I don’t want to whittle life away on social media or hustle for a few more eyeballs — my current thoughts on work (plus, a fantastic quote from Amy Lynn Andrews).
2. "I am weary of the word 'unprecedented.' Along with the phrase 'new normal,' it’s been used an unprecedented number of times this spring." This is good.
3. My teen daughter takes over the podcast today! It’s for your kids, and it’s also for you, too.
4. “The earth is remaking rotten produce, animal waste, and our own bones into fresh soil.” This is my favorite read of the week.
5. I recently chatted with the Smuckers about approaching writing as a form of therapy, which turned this conversation into therapy itself. Lovely people.
“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work. Rather, teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Time Machine ⏰
10 years ago, Katie shared six reasons why she loves the farmer’s market.
Have a good weekend,
p.s. This summer I’m hosting a low-key book club with paying Books & Crannies supporters! It’s our second year to do this, so if you’d like to join likeminded bookworms, we’d love to have you:
This Monday I’ll announce our book selection — be sure to let me know your preference!
Tate did such a great job!! I will be putting her tips to use this weekend - sounds like she is far more diligent in keeping her room nice than this 32 year old. 😉