Discover more from The Commonplace
5 Quick Things #253 🍅
tomatoes, spaghetti, gratitude, & garbage
I’m writing this fairly late Thursday night from a hotel room in Dallas and I’ve got to get up bright and early tomorrow morning for the Catholic Imagination Conference, so let’s get right to it, shall we?
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 1. 📻 New episode of ADWAF: Why I Left Instagram 📻 Seth asks me about my decision to leave Instagram and why I have zero regrets. Truly!
2. I love this surprising delight of reading 500 words of garbage every morning. I’ve written so much more this year because of meeting with fellow writer friends via Zoom several times a week, and releasing myself from the pressure to write perfection means showing up and being willing to write …well, garbage.
3. Making homemade vanilla extract is on my to-do list, especially since it’s gotten so expensive at the store.
4. "A friend once quipped that growing tomatoes is 'the best way to devote three months of your life to saving $2.17.' ...Work is where the real person resides. The true nature of a man is revealed when he is swinging a hammer, felling a tree, or negotiating a contract. For good or ill, we speak loudest to those around us when we are at work." Good food for thought.
5. And finally, I’m such a big believer in gratitude journaling, and this take was a delight.
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 📚
Laurus, by Eugene Vodolazkin
“We meet no ordinary people in our lives.”
— C.S. Lewis #
Is Cereal a Soup? 🍜
You guys have strong opinions on this matter. Noted.
Find this week’s poll here.
Quick Links 🔗
Become a paying subscriber of The Commonplace (and thank you!)
The Commonplace is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts, consider becoming a subscriber:
Question(s) For You to Ponder… 🤔
What that you currently care about do you think you’ll still care about a year from now?
Have a good weekend,
p.s. Spaghetti appointment — I can’t not think of reservations like this anymore.