5 Quick Things #225 🥌
dead thinkers, farm dogs, yes but no, & most hyperbolic thing EVER
Good morning from icy central Texas, where it’s thankfully nothing like last year here (so far 🤞). We’ve had several days of snieet (snow + ice + sleet) on the ground, not really enough to do much playing in but enough to close off the roads. I’m sure you Yankees would laugh, and if I were still living in Oregon I would, too — except that I’m rather enjoying this everyone-at-home frosty extended weekend.
I’m stoked to continue our living room snug-fest watching the Olympics’ opening ceremonies tonight! I feel like they rather snuck up on me this year, but I’ll take ‘em — the winter ones are always so entertaining because they’re sports I forget exist until these two weeks show up. Skeleton? Biathlon? Super G? Curling? Sounds good.
5 Quick Things ☕️
1. 👉 New episode of A Drink With a Friend! 👈 Liz Gilbert once said that if she didn’t write, she’d become a farm dog and chew up the couch. Why do we partake in creative pursuits if we’re not going to profit financially from it? Lots of reasons, actually. We chat with friends Maile & Shawn Smucker about why they have an insatiable need to create — and why each and every one of us needs to as well.
2. Two of my favorite current thinkers, discussing a favorite topic of mine (his latest book on the topic really is good).
3. “It's as if we've found ourselves forced into service as participants in an experiment designed to confirm the wisdom of both ‘Chicken Little’ and ‘The Boy Who Cried Wolf.’” Yes indeed — America's hyperbole habit is the worst thing ever.
4. The positive no — I know someone who does this so well I nearly feel complimented whenever she declines my request. This is a worthwhile skill to cultivate, I think.
5. And finally, 12 lessons from 12 months of owning a bookstore. As someone who dreams of opening a small shop on our square, I really loved this. These lessons are applicable to so much in life, not just small-town business ownership.
Currently Reading, Watching, Listening 📚
The Moviegoer, by Walker Percy
Bitter & Sweet 🍋
Bitter & Sweet officially released Tuesday, so it means it’s officially out in the world and available for your shelves! (We’re not making a giant to-do about it just yet, simply because it almost feels like its real “release” is March 2, when Ash Wednesday begins…).
I love seeing you with your copies — as always, it’s truly an honor to have my words in your home!
“I wonder how many people I've looked at all my life and never seen.”
— John Steinbeck #
$350 off for Italy! 🍷
Reminder: From now until February 18, you’ll get $350 off per person for our summer trip to Italy when you use this link. Right now you only need to secure your spot with the deposit! I’d love you to join us.
Amazing art and architecture, otherworldly food, and probably best of all — meaningful, life-changing conversations overlooking the God-swept Tuscan countryside… You don’t want to miss it and I don’t want you to, either.
It’s already a reasonably priced trip, considering our phenomenal itinerary, yet with this current special, it’s even more affordable. Come along!
Question For You to Ponder… 🤔
Are the five things you tend to most often do before bed helping you sleep better? If not, what should you edit from your routine?
Have a great weekend,
p.s. Hello, friend.